At least 41 people, including a child, have died after a boat carrying African migrants to Europe sank off Tunisia.
UN refugee agency and International Organization for Migration disclosed this in a joint statement on Friday stating that “three survivors were rescued by the Tunisian National Coast Guard” following Thursday’s boat sinking.
“The bodies of 41 people, including at least one child, have so far been retrieved,” the statement said.
Earlier, Ali Ayari, spokesman for the Tunisian coast guard in the eastern city of Sfax, had put the death toll at 20.
Ayari said the bodies of 11 men, eight women and a child were retrieved. Seventeen other people were missing.
Search operations, halted due to bad weather, would continue on Saturday, he added.
The joint UNHCR-IOM statement said all those who perished were from sub-Saharan Africa.
“This tragic loss of life underscores once again the need to enhance and expand state-led search and rescue operations across the Central Mediterranean, where some 290 people have lost their lives so far this year,” it added.